Thursday, January 17, 2008

Car Seats

So this post from Daddyology reminded me that I needed to start looking for a new car seat or booster seat for Jaxon, now that he is almost 4, almost 40 lbs and 40" tall. So I began my on-line research and found this and this(grab a tissue but do at least try to watch.)

I also found this on rear facing seats which made me think that next time around we will probably do rear facing for quite a bit longer.

Apparently, the latest recommendations are that you keep your child in a 5-point harness type car seat as long as possible. Although at least one of our car seats (Cosco Alpha Omega) is designed for kids up to 80 lbs., once they hit 40 lbs. it is supposed to be used with a seat belt rather than the 5-point harness. Jaxon is almost to tall now for the harness at its highest point to fit but I tell you, I am just not ready to use just the seat belt on the car seat. So I started looking for other options. Let me tell you, there aren't many models out there to choose from and most are $200 or more. I did find the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex 65 for $79 with $5 shipping so I think that is what we are going to get.

To save some of you some research, here is a review on the seat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Yeah, I couldn't make it through those videos.

Julia has been in a booster seat with a seat belt for a while now. She outgrew her 5-point harness seat so early - it was digging into her. But gosh, those links sure make you think.